THE GREENMAN - GEOFF

THE GREENMAN -  GEOFF
The wildwood and I

Wednesday, 15 September 2010

2 comments:

Geoffrey Rodley said...

It`s raining again,wet fingers of water run along the large window pane to my front . A million tiny water gems glow as rainbows in the light from my desk lamp .The bare , stark group of seven silver birch trees on the hill slope across the grey road are dancing naked in the gusting wind : their sound and their rapid swaying mesmerise my senses , Sound blown in through the slightly open window rattling in the storm . A small car splashes along the grey road and passes in a few seconds over the bridge threatened by the rising water . On into the village that lies sparkling and wet in early Christmas lights just over the solid grey-stoned crossing . I feel outside of time . Frozen in the moment , a few seconds stretched out into eternity .The sound of children playing out in the playground`s puddles , stomping and splashing through imagined pirate held seas , wrapped up in warm coats in the school next door, sing like a holy chorus in my ears : the most beautiful sound I have ever heard ; the sound of children playing .

For me , this day has bestowed its blessings in abundance : friends , family and the cold stark beauty of nature in her Autumnal gold and red cloak . How enlivening this season is ; the primordially primitive appeal of hearth and warmth , hearty stews with the company of loved ones , and the gathering together around the living room fire , roaring and dancing with magical flames .To hear the laughter of the young ones ; their effervescent zest for life , and their thirst and hunger for changing the world . The view from the window , where I sit , has momentarily mesmerised me in a sudden medative and enlightening way .
I feel as a disembodied entity floating above the familiar buzz of my family`s voices , the mirth , and the joy one could almost pluck out of the fire-warmed air that forms whenever we are together.
Peace and thankfulness descend upon me like an holy supporting aura , colouring me in invisible shades of love and bathing my heart in the twinkling tints of the simple joy of just being alive.....I say a wordless prayer in the depths of my heart , that no language can pin a translation on .
I thank the Universe for making me aware and I feel the galaxies and vastness of the cosmos spinning around me , dizzying and breathtaking .
Seconds , or hours , perhaps even an eternity goes by.......and my Sister`s living room reforms around me .David , dear David,crosses the room and rests his hand upon my shoulder .He asks me : " why do you cry , Uncle Geoff "......My tongue-tighed mouth attempts to pull down the stars and explain my wonder at the forces of creation to him . I finally settle on such a simple sentence , so few words that contain a Universe of knowledge and feeling in them....I say : "I love you,nephew."

Geoffrey Rodley said...

It`s raining again,wet fingers of water run along the large window pane to my front . A million tiny water gems glow as rainbows in the light from my desk lamp .The bare , stark group of seven silver birch trees on the hill slope across the grey road are dancing naked in the gusting wind : their sound and their rapid swaying mesmerise my senses , Sound blown in through the slightly open window rattling in the storm . A small car splashes along the grey road and passes in a few seconds over the bridge threatened by the rising water . On into the village that lies sparkling and wet in early Christmas lights just over the solid grey-stoned crossing . I feel outside of time . Frozen in the moment , a few seconds stretched out into eternity .The sound of children playing out in the playground`s puddles , stomping and splashing through imagined pirate held seas , wrapped up in warm coats in the school next door, sing like a holy chorus in my ears : the most beautiful sound I have ever heard ; the sound of children playing .

For me , this day has bestowed its blessings in abundance : friends , family and the cold stark beauty of nature in her Autumnal gold and red cloak . How enlivening this season is ; the primordially primitive appeal of hearth and warmth , hearty stews with the company of loved ones , and the gathering together around the living room fire , roaring and dancing with magical flames .To hear the laughter of the young ones ; their effervescent zest for life , and their thirst and hunger for changing the world . The view from the window , where I sit , has momentarily mesmerised me in a sudden medative and enlightening way .
I feel as a disembodied entity floating above the familiar buzz of my family`s voices , the mirth , and the joy one could almost pluck out of the fire-warmed air that forms whenever we are together.
Peace and thankfulness descend upon me like an holy supporting aura , colouring me in invisible shades of love and bathing my heart in the twinkling tints of the simple joy of just being alive.....I say a wordless prayer in the depths of my heart , that no language can pin a translation on .
I thank the Universe for making me aware and I feel the galaxies and vastness of the cosmos spinning around me , dizzying and breathtaking .
Seconds , or hours , perhaps even an eternity goes by.......and my Sister`s living room reforms around me .David , dear David,crosses the room and rests his hand upon my shoulder .He asks me : " why do you cry , Uncle Geoff "......My tongue-tighed mouth attempts to pull down the stars and explain my wonder at the forces of creation to him . I finally settle on such a simple sentence , so few words that contain a Universe of knowledge and feeling in them....I say : "I love you,nephew."